Friday, January 8, 2010

Happy New Year!

Alright, so I'm technically 8 days late. whatever. get over it.
I've never really come to terms with new years being a big thing anyway. Right now my life is still run on a school calendar so my new years happen in September usually and I find the one in January to be quite awkward actually. I mean, yeah, I stay up till midnight and say rabbit rabbit rabbit (just like the first of EVERY month, when I remember) and happy new year. I attempt to come up with some resolutions and think about the past year but it feels weird. Especially this year because I'm between two different schools and I think I've done too much thinking and had too many different experiences to have remained the same person. In fact, I'm positive I'm not the same person as I was last year, or even as I was in August (when I started at CSU).

As long as I'm being all reflective, and a little hippocritical, let's look at my year in review:
  • Word of the year: Epiphany. why is this my word? because I've had a lot of them and I just learned how it was spelled and I think it's wonderful.
  • Name of the year: Ingrid. This is what I named my bass trombone and it is also:
  • Favorite Music/Artist of the year: Ingrid Michaelson. I love her, this has already been mentioned.
  • Best book I read last year: I haven't really read much, regrettibly, but I think I'd have to say The World is Flat By Thomas Friedman. I actually read this for one of my classes and as I have said a few times in the past few months "This damn book is ruining my life" as I realized just how right Mr. Friedman is/was.
  • Band Piece of the year: Armenian Dances. Just is, played it twice and LOVE IT!
  • Favorite thing I baked: My birthday cake: Chocolate cake, chocolate mousse, chocolate ganache.
  • Drink of the year: Tea. if I had to pick one flavor, it would be vanilla strawberry rose, which I just learned has been discontinued and I wanted to cry.
  • Website of the year: Google. Duh.
  • Webcomic of the year: Questionable Content. If you're gonna read it you should really start from the beginning
  • Biggest FAIL of the year: this blog, also mentioned before
  • Punctuation of the year: ...yeah...
  • Addiction of the year: Texting. OMG, texting.
  • Phrase of the year: points for trying. I think...there might be another one....not sure.

So...resolutions...I make them but I'm still not sure how I feel about them...I think in part because I resolve to do things all year round, it's not a special thing for me. Just because the calendar year changes doesn't mean I need to pick RIGHT NOW to start new and over and make huge amazing changes in my life. I do that whenever I feel like I need to. This year kind of happened to fall near new years....points for me?
Anyway...welcome to my new year, glad you're a part of it :)
~Renee

1 comment:

  1. So, resolutions...I completely agree and think that resolutions are very much linked to epiphanies (like how I did that? :D), not to socially-enforced days with special names (i.e. New Year's). I've also managed to make a few resolutions around the New Year's time (and, yes, points to you...ALWAYS points for trying).

    One of the things I've learned over the past few years, change happens whether you want it to or not, especially when you make a major change in your life (i.e. changing universities/states), so I'm glad to hear that you've changed since you moved to CSU; the year probably wouldn't have been worth the money-saving if you hadn't :)

    Happy New Year to you, too; I'm glad I can be part of yours, even for only a short time.

    -MSH

    ReplyDelete