Friday, September 4, 2009

VERSES: Practice Room Edition

So....in efforts to explore the differences and such between Lawrence and CSU, I'm going to do a series (randomly) of "verses" where I compare the same thing at each university. Today's edition is practice rooms.
Things I like about CSU practice rooms:
1) They are sound proof - or close to at least, I can practice without worring about other people judging me or distracting me with their practice
2) They are acoustically happy - I sound good because the room lets me sound so with ease
3) They have wood floors - this seems like a stupid point but it makes me happy and aids the above
4) They are big! I can play in any direction AND there's a piano in it AND if I had people (and time) to play duets it would be super easy to find space

Things I like about Lawrence practice rooms:
1) Someone is ALWAYS practicing
2) They are set up so that there is an easy place to take a break - namely the con lounge
3) They are close to the instrument lockers - instead of ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE BUILDING
4) They are not locked
5) The "windows" are kinda more like 2-way mirrors so there is some anonimity even though people can hear you through the walls (and doors)
6) They have character because they are old

Things I don't like about CSU practice rooms:
1) They are ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE BUILDING - and it's a 2 min walk from the lockers in the basement to the practice rooms on the first floor
2) They are locked and I'm paranoid about leaving my key either in my locker or in the room when I step out to get a drink
3) They have no character - this is probably because the building is new so this is a questionable point against CSU

Things I don't like about Lawrence practice rooms:
1) They are not sound proof...at all
2) They have very little ventilation....and sometimes people make them stinky
3) They are not especially acoustically happy - they're made of cinderblocks....and particle board
4) They are small

I'm pretty sure I'll find other things that I notice as I'm in CSU's more and in Lawrence's less...though I did spend a lot of time in them so my opinion is pretty well formed :)

I attached some pictures of one of the CSU practice rooms.....I don't have one of Lawrence's, it never seemed important.


In other news...I just got an HpMini netbook and it is my new best friend...I love it!!!!!!!!!! I was using it while I was walking across campus today and was pleasently surprised to find out that there is wireless almost all the way to the music building (the UCA in further posts). Oh what is becoming of the world?

Here is a silly quote I thought of yesterday (and I couldn't find it online so, clearly, no one else has ever thought it) "Real Friends Read BETWEEN the Lines of my Blog (or Twitter)" I think it's funny...and not especially true, but funny. More on my opinion of twitter later.

Random question if you feel like answering: What is/was the most exciting letter you have ever recieved in the mail?

4 comments:

  1. I was pretty jazzed to receive my AFS assignment letter that said I was going to Italy. It could have said anywhere, really. I have come to love Italy - its food, history and people. I probably would have loved anywhere I went, but I feel lucky nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The most exciting letter was a reply to a letter I had hand-delivered to someone I admired and respected who was otherwise a stranger (as in, didn't know who I was). I wasn't expecting a response, so it was very exciting to learn that my words had been read, appreciated, and reciprocated (in one way or another).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might second the AFS thing, though not to Italy.

    Actually, no. Even better. The guy I went to prom with sent me a letter when I dropped out (as sort of a graduation present) telling me all the things he thought were really great about me and telling me what sorts of good things he hoped would happen or I would do in my future. It was probably the most thoughtful gift I've ever received.

    Also, related to your post: I'm jealous of those practice rooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a tie between my acceptance to grad school and hire letter to HP.
    It seems that big news these days comes in email or conversation! Events with Dee fall into the latter category.

    ReplyDelete